MAIZE & SORGHUM SEED
Quality & performance certified from France
GROWERS AND COMPANIES PRODUCING MAIZE SEED & SORGHUM SEED
The FNPSMS is the interbranch structure covering all players in the maize seed
and sorghum seed industry in France:
• 25 professional seed producers’ associations with total membership of 3 500
seed-growers, members of the AGPM Seed Maize section.
• 32 seed companies, members of the UFS Maize & Sorghum Section.
The FNPSMS organises seed production, covering conditions set by contract, techniques, certification and quality, plus communication. It helps develop markets in Europe for members, and acts as representative lobbying both French and EU authorities.
CROP INSPECTION AND REGULATORY ENFORCEMENT REGARDING PRODUCTION
• To ensure compliance with the Technical Regulation on the production, inspection, and certification
of maize seeds;
• To train and oversee the staff that carry out crop inspections.
• To support initiatives aimed at optimising the field-to-plant production process;
• To control technical obstacles in order to increase productivity and secure seed production;
• To deliver high-quality seeds that meet the requirements of international clients.
INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC INTERPROFESSIONAL LABORATORY
• To serve as reference in seed quality tests across the French territory;
• To facilitate exports of French-produced seeds by providing the necessary accreditations.
MARKET WATCH AND FORECASTING
• To watch and analyse European market trends;
• To set reference economic indicators regarding seed production;
• To oversee contract terms between seed companies and growers multiplying the seeds;
• To generally secure the income of industry actors.
PROMOTION & COMMUNICATION
• To promote the “Made in France” maize seeds and Western genetics;
• To support grain and feed maize production areas in France and abroad;
• To consolidate feed maize and high-moisture corn outlets through agronomic and livestock feeding trials;
• To help to bring maize back into the focus of various target-categories: grain producers, livestock growers, opinion leaders, and the general public.
• To allow the various stakeholders to complement one another and work together to ensure the common dynamics;
• To provide new competitive avenues and levers, to the industry.
REGULATORY AND INSTITUTIONAL WATCH
• To track changes in effective legislation and certification standards;
• To follow innovations, as well as developments in new plant breeding techniques.
France, Europe’s leading producer and the world’s leading exporter of maize seed
Annual production (average) 210 000 tonnes of certified seed
Annual crop programme (average) 60 000 hectares
2 000 varieties grown
32 seed companies & 31 processing plants
3 500 seed-growers & 25 professional associations
60 % of seed produced for export
An average of 500 hectares producing 1 400 tonnes
120 seed growers
7 seed companies
Europe’s leading producer and exporter of sorghum seed
THE ADVANTAGESOF SEED PRODUCED IN FRANCE:
• Quality and traceability, through the most demanding certification system in the world.
• Diversity of offering through highly favourable soil climate conditions.
• Steady and regular yield, backed by irrigation, the diverse range of seed-growing areas and the know-how of operators.